Friday, October 21, 2011

Downward Spiral...

Learning how to handle the disappointments in life is a key to emotional stability. I learned this in a rather stark way through a friend of mine. We had talked about a previous suicide attempt and her desire to end it all..  LIFE JUST WASNT WORTH LIVING FOR!   Her family graciously talked her through it and she recovered sort of...
I found out later that she had a date set up and that person did not come through and stood her up. Now what do you think the average person would think or do. I know I would shrug it off and say, " Hey, this person is not worth my time and move one."  Unfortunately this person simply took a nose dive and started drinking. The old adage " you gotta be  stop when you had too much"   She just kept drinking more and more shots of  jack and coke. I received a call when I was in bed at 200 am.. come get me, I cant even walk!

Reluctantly I went to a local bar and picked her up literally and  helped her to her car, Wait no she was so "out of it" that she wasnt able to walk let alone drive! As  I was going out one of the patrons, said jokingly, "another satisfied customer" I laughed because it was funny,  but actually it was pretty pathetic!

The most salient point here is the Downward Spiral that we cause when we respond to situations as if it were life and death. Pulling on a Jack Daniels, etc is just too easy and may  be a  way of escape, but only for a little while. Your body will remind you of your  dumb move.  Why not think of more constructive ways to handle your frustration?

How about exercise, or a game of chess? how about kicking the crap out of punching bag, or running on the treadmill? instead of quaffing beer? How about attacking the problem at its core, or thought  process?

We are not so different: all of us have our little vices that we use when we are down ,depressed, or angry. The trick is to strive make them healthier. We cannot run from ourself and our problems, so its best stand up own our stuff and work through  it!

No comments:

Post a Comment